Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Matryoshka is My Middle Name

The famous Russian doll, the Matryoshka, is the best packing inspiration totem I've found. Everything has a place, everything fits, and there is no wasted space. These "nesting" dolls have inspired the way that I pack, and perhaps you'll find these darlings helpful as you reorganize your bag. I'll use mine as an example.

Everything Has A Place: Rather than cramming or stuffing, first start with the dimensions of your bag and then add smaller zip-top bags. Nothing smaller than your fist should have to swim alone in a large bag, so compartmentalize.

Everything Fits: If all articles are contained in smaller containers, then you know that everything will fit and you'll easily locate what is missing if your bag takes a tumble. Choose the smallest containers you can that will supply what you need on any given day.

No Wasted Space: By choosing zip-top bags, you don't fill hard cases with lots of air and make your bag bulkier than it needs to be.

Smaller inner bags are better than compartments because they can transfer from bag to bag. They also limit the amount of "things" that can collect in purses, like business cards, pens, receipts, shoes, the Titanic... whatever comes your way. In my purse, I have my wallet, a tan zip bag (which contains most "purse" things), my blue/green snack bag, tissues, a coin purse, a pen, my sunglasses, and my phone.

The "tan bag" has most purse-like items: business cards, chapstick, ear buds, Listerine pocket packs, pain relievers, lotion, a hair tie, lipstick, and a nail file. The lotion and lipstick are in the contact lens case because I don't need large quantities, and the file is actually just a small piece of a file, because that's all I need on the go.









The "snack bag" is where I keep my on-the-go snacks and drink mixes. It keeps the quantities small and prevents the snacks from opening and spilling into my purse. I have Larabars, peanut butter (which needs to be removed for air travel because it is a liquid), instant coffee and drink mixes, a fruit leather, ginger chew, mints and gum. It is like a tiny vending machine that goes with me. It is also a nice, small bag that I can easily use as a small purse if I'm headed somewhere fancy and just want to have my driver's license, a credit card, lipstick and mint.



The outer pocket of my bag is reserved for small items I use all the time: hand sanitizer, lip gloss, a perfume roller, pen, and my travel spork. I wouldn't be devastated if I lost any of these items, and it is nice to have them easy to reach.

Three other features I didn't photograph include an inner zip pocket, which is great for my wallet and boarding passes during airline travel, a small zipper pocket on the inside that fits my phone (so it doesn't sink to the bottom and is carried close to me... I can feel when it vibrates), and a key clasp. I can hook my keys onto my purse which makes them easier to find and less likely to fall out if my bag is turned upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment